Monday, June 25, 2007

Massive Update Part IV - Giuliani Close to Getting the Kerry Treatment?

The final update of my highly controversial editorials concludes on yet another controversial topic. (If Ann Coulter can call John Edwards a "faggot" and still have people buy her books, I can be opinionated.)

NYT, my love child, has attempted to get feedback from Bishops on Presidential Candidate Rudy Giuliani's by and large anti-Republican stance on abortion.

"At first glance, Rudolph W. Giuliani should be an appealing presidential candidate for observant Roman Catholics. The grandchild of Italian immigrants, Mr. Giuliani went to Catholic schools, considered joining the priesthood, and as mayor of New York battled a museum that exhibited a painting of the Virgin Mary adorned in elephant dung."

So he seems like he's towing the Catholic line, right? What's the big deal? Well, some Bishops don't find his pro-choice stance very...conducive to the Catholic ideals:

"Thomas J. Tobin of Providence, R.I., recently wrote a caustic column for his Catholic newspaper calling Mr. Giuliani’s position “pathetic,” “confusing” and “hypocritical.”

"Other bishops said that they would not criticize a candidate by name but would not hesitate to declare Mr. Giuliani’s stance contrary to Catholic teaching."

"Archbishop John J. Myers of Newark said: “I think he’s being illogical, as are all of those who take the stand that ‘I’m personally opposed to abortion but this is my public responsibility to permit it.’ To violate human life is always and everywhere wrong. In fact, we don’t think it’s a matter of church teaching, but a matter of the way God made the world, and it applies to everyone.”


Wow....some very toxic words from the leaders of the Catholic church. The question is, will Bishops deny Giuliani communion at the altar because of his anti-Church stance? Many of them have not issued statements at all. However, dozens of Bishops did this in 2000 to John Kerry for his stance. Debated ensued whether or not it was correct to enforce this at the altar and whether the Catholic church had ventured too far into politics. Wait. The Catholic church...enter itself into politics? NO WAY?! I could spend my entire life writing about how the Catholic church has nosed its way into political events from the conception of its very foundations. I am a born and raised a Catholic and, while I'm certainly not agnostic or atheist, I am most definitely open to criticizing statements not unlike this:

"Pope Benedict XVI told reporters last month that Catholic legislators in Mexico who had recently voted to allow abortion had effectively excommunicated themselves from the church. A Vatican spokesman immediately issued a clarifying statement saying that politicians who voted for abortion rights should “exclude themselves from communion.”

Do I even need to touch this one? I can't even breathe/type anymore. I've slung enough mud for one day. Agree/Disagree on these articles? I'm open to debate/agreements.

No comments: