Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Dear Democrats...

I am a faithful voter. I would have voted for Al Gore.(If I was 18 at the time.) I voted for John Kerry. I voted for Ed Rendell. I voted for Bob Casey. I voted for a lot of Democrats in the past 3 years. I didn't always like a lot of the candidates as much you probably would have liked me to...but I supported. I recently changed my affiliation to Democrat from Independent so I could vote in primaries. I am currently in the UC Democrats at my college. I guess you could say I'm a filthy-rotten-blue bleeding-liberal. Okay, you caught me.


Now that I got that out of the way. What the hell have you been doing since you took over the Senate and House? I did the dance of joy. I walked a tall strut for at least a week after the elections were over. So how bout all these cool things I was supposed to see?

  • Partisan Immigration Bill?
  • Time-Table for Iraq?
  • Vote of No Confidence for Gonzalez?
  • Stem Cell Funding?
The linked item refers to to the recently vetoed stem cell bill. Something that would help move along gene and disease research.

What's happening out there? All these bills, no results. Lewis Black likes to say, "Democrats are the party of no-ideas and the Republicans are the party of bad ideas." I am seeing how this quote is realized. The majority of Democrats have been pushing for all of these bills and yet no results. The Republicans and their fearless leader, once again, answer to the call of the people and vote down another bill.

Wait. Let me check out that whole "will of the people"

Critics called his order a sham and said Bush should have signed into law the stem-cell bill, which polls show is backed by more than 60 percent of American voters.

As Jerry Seinfeld would say...."What's the deal with that?" I'm sorry for being angry Dems, I understand you are TRYING, but it's proving that it's not enough. With numerous Republicans not towing the line of the public opinion and President Bush vetoing every piece of paper that is put under his nose, the Democrats will still have a hell of a time. I wish I had a quote to back this up, but I recently heard on NPR about how the approval polls of the Democratic party since the elections have gone considerably down. I can't imagine why? The Dems need to get on track and make some partisan magic, or come 2008, the American people are going to be relatively tired of empty promises and big smiles.

4 comments:

Fz said...

I can back you up regarding the Dems' approval going down. Or at least party affiliation has gone down. In November and December, they were the cool kids and town, and everyone wanted to try it (being a Dem, that is), but now they've all realized that it isn't that great, and now we have the most unaffiliated voters in a long, long time.

I think your sentiment is shared by many Americans (it's certainly shared by me), and I think this is why Bloomberg would be a successful third party candidate (I use the term "successful" rather loosely here - i.e. successful in comparison to Ralph Nader, for instance). People are sick of partisan stalemates. But, chances are in 2008 we'll just elect more of the same.

BrandonIsADork said...

I think the problem is that no one is willing to make a compromise. We can't accomplish anything as a one party system because our requirements are too strict to pass bills that way. The Dems were/are too confident in their barely majority in attempting to pass these bills. They should know that Bush will veto them. What do they think all this time is for? Symbolism against the regime?

Great. Symbolism with no results. I still support Obama, but I haven't ruled out 3rd parties yet. There's a long way to November.

DC said...

That's a good point Brandon... but I think the Democrats have learned that the only way the current Republican leadership negotiates is to insist on having it all their way. (With a few exceptions, like the immigration bill- that's going down to defeat anyway.)

BrandonIsADork said...

haha Yeah, I see your point, but basically it boils down to the Democrats can't get these major bills passed unless they have a Democrat president to back them up, which, at the earliest, would be in 5 months.